Skip to main content

Summing it up...

I have thoroughly enjoyed participating in 13 Things. I have learned so much about Web 2.0. It's been great. I have suggested some of the things to my dad for him to use in his line of work. I've also found ways to make use of some of them in my office at Coe. This school year the Office of Service-Learning & Campus Engagement (fondly thought of as "OSLiCE") is going to have a blog about all the events put on by our office. I am pretty excited about it as a way to engage with students in a different way and maybe even gain some publicity for our office.

I think my time with the 13 things has been good for me personally as well as professionally. I have learned about all sorts of great web 2.0 features that I had no clue about. I feel more knowledgeable about some of the more recent technological advances. Ask my brother, I tend to be someone clueless about anything other than the basics. I think it's been rather interesting to read other peoples views and insights regarding web 2.0. Some of the things I thought would be really great to use in a classroom setting others saw as not particularly helpful. This experience has opened my eyes to the greater possibilities to connect with students as well as others whether it be in my personal life or with Coe.

I can't really say that I had any expectations going into this. Quite honestly, I didn't know what web 2.0 was or what I was getting myself into. As with many things in my life, I dove in head first and learned a lot. It's been a lot of fun along the way. At times it was pretty time consuming (in part because I am not the most...shall we say...'technologically gifted' individual ever). The time put into this undertaking has definitely been worthwhile. I am glad Mandi encouraged me to pursue this. I much prefer this exercise in "self-discovering" rather than a workshop. This means of exploring web 2.0 let me figure things out for myself which I think makes it easier for me to remember how to use the different "things."

Out of all the things we have looked into, my favorite has definitely been cloud computing. I love Google Docs and the calendar!!! I think my life at work has been simplified with the addition of this to my work life. I am still figuring out some of the details, but so far, it is great! I also really enjoy LibraryThing and flickr.

I think it is only fair to say that my life would be incomplete without words (especially in the form of quotes). If you hadn't already guessed, I absolutely love Wordle. It was interesting to see what all came up on mine. I think it would be fun to make for the office to display. I think it is cool way of communicating. Here's mine. I like the element of randomness that comes into play with it.

Lisa, thanks for introducing me to the world of web 2.0. It's been great!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You know you are a nerd and take school a little too seriously when...

So I had a bit of a minor revelation today about my love/possible obsession with school today while setting up my new (functional) printer and testing it out. Here is some background info on the revelation: In case you didn't hear, I decided to pursue my Masters of Divinity degree at McCormick Theological Seminary beginning this month. As of now, I am about 2 weeks into classes as a seminary student. Additionally, as some of you know, I have often said that I think the ideal job for me would be to be able to get paid to take classes at colleges and universities around the world. At the end of each term, I would critique the overall class experience and provide extensive feedback for the instructors on ways to improve their courses and better reach their students. Awesome--I know!!! Listed below are the top ways I realized you should know you take school seriously. See what you think! Your desk is about 3 times larger than your kitchen table. (See picture for proof) You are willi...

Reflections on seminary, my call, and interfaith dialogue

So first of all, hello! I know it has been ages since I have written!  I suppose I felt at a bit of a loss as to what to write about, and I wasn't really certain that anyone was reading.  However, I have a question that was posed to me today that is weighing heavily on my mind that I would like to put out there in the hope that it will trigger thoughts and conversations of value in others (and hopefully with me).   I am in the midst of my second year of seminary as a Masters of Divinity student. I came to seminary with the idea that I would not be pursuing a traditional ministry path in the parish, which I still have no intention of doing.  I do not feel as though this is where God is calling me or where my strengths are.  However, I did come to seminary with the (what now seems crazy) notion that I should pursue homeless and hunger ministry options because of my work as an AmeriCorps VISTA member and the experiences I had at a local homeless shelter during my ...

Approaching the finish line

15 days. That is all that is left of my VISTA year (including weekends). Where has the time gone? In some ways it seems just like yesterday that I attended PSO (Pre-Service Orientation) in Lombard, Illinois before officially starting as a VISTA (volunteer in service to America). I have spent the last 11+ months volunteering/working as an Iowa Campus Compact AmeriCorps VISTA in the Office of Service-Learning and Campus Engagement at Coe College (long title, I know). It's hard to believe I have just a few weeks left. So much has changed in the last 11 months--personally, professionally, academically, etc. I came into this position knowing that I had not fully completed my education. I think I have known from a young age that I would be going to grad school. I just didn't know what degree I would be pursuing. Philosophy? Religion? Student Affairs? Seminary? I think it is quite possible that I considered all of those and several others during my time here at Coe. Choosing wha...