Skip to main content

Rocking Out...Seeing Slash in Concert

So a week ago tomorrow, my boyfriend and I went to see Slash in concert. I had no idea what I was getting myself into going to this concert. I can't say that I knew too much about Slash before this concert. All I knew was what Eliot what had told me about the guitarist from Guns n' Roses.

In getting dressed for the concert, I asked Eliot what to wear. He response was something along the lines, "Just wear what you normally wear." So I did. Not exactly the smartest move I have ever made. I pulled the top clean shirt out of the draw and a nice pair of jeans. What did I wear to a Slash concert? 1 bright pink shirt, jeans, a daisy necklace, and a pair of cute shoes. I realized the error of my ways when we got to the venue. Pretty much everyone else was wearing torn jeans, black t-shirts from bands like Metallica and Guns n' Roses. A lot of people had interesting piercings and tattoos.

Initially, I felt really awkward about being there. I thought the opening band was terrible. And then...Slash came on with Myles Kennedy. It turned out to be an awesome concert! I was kind of surprised how much I enjoyed myself. The very best part of the whole thing was seeing Eliot as happy as he was seeing his all-time favorite guitarist in person. It was great!

One last thing...I realized while at the concert that I will never be able to get away from the label of being a "nerd." Perhaps you are wondering why. This is why. During the entirety of the opening act, I was thinking about Nietszche's writings on herd mentality. All I could think about is how people seem to adopt the same or similar behaviors as those around them. My philosophy professors should be proud. Philosophy creeps into every area of my life...even going to concerts by awesome guitarists.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You know you are a nerd and take school a little too seriously when...

So I had a bit of a minor revelation today about my love/possible obsession with school today while setting up my new (functional) printer and testing it out. Here is some background info on the revelation: In case you didn't hear, I decided to pursue my Masters of Divinity degree at McCormick Theological Seminary beginning this month. As of now, I am about 2 weeks into classes as a seminary student. Additionally, as some of you know, I have often said that I think the ideal job for me would be to be able to get paid to take classes at colleges and universities around the world. At the end of each term, I would critique the overall class experience and provide extensive feedback for the instructors on ways to improve their courses and better reach their students. Awesome--I know!!! Listed below are the top ways I realized you should know you take school seriously. See what you think! Your desk is about 3 times larger than your kitchen table. (See picture for proof) You are willi...

Reflections on seminary, my call, and interfaith dialogue

So first of all, hello! I know it has been ages since I have written!  I suppose I felt at a bit of a loss as to what to write about, and I wasn't really certain that anyone was reading.  However, I have a question that was posed to me today that is weighing heavily on my mind that I would like to put out there in the hope that it will trigger thoughts and conversations of value in others (and hopefully with me).   I am in the midst of my second year of seminary as a Masters of Divinity student. I came to seminary with the idea that I would not be pursuing a traditional ministry path in the parish, which I still have no intention of doing.  I do not feel as though this is where God is calling me or where my strengths are.  However, I did come to seminary with the (what now seems crazy) notion that I should pursue homeless and hunger ministry options because of my work as an AmeriCorps VISTA member and the experiences I had at a local homeless shelter during my ...

Approaching the finish line

15 days. That is all that is left of my VISTA year (including weekends). Where has the time gone? In some ways it seems just like yesterday that I attended PSO (Pre-Service Orientation) in Lombard, Illinois before officially starting as a VISTA (volunteer in service to America). I have spent the last 11+ months volunteering/working as an Iowa Campus Compact AmeriCorps VISTA in the Office of Service-Learning and Campus Engagement at Coe College (long title, I know). It's hard to believe I have just a few weeks left. So much has changed in the last 11 months--personally, professionally, academically, etc. I came into this position knowing that I had not fully completed my education. I think I have known from a young age that I would be going to grad school. I just didn't know what degree I would be pursuing. Philosophy? Religion? Student Affairs? Seminary? I think it is quite possible that I considered all of those and several others during my time here at Coe. Choosing wha...