Skip to main content

Gettin' Creative with Creative Commons

Watching the videos made Creative Commons seem really great. When exploring the website, I came to find that it wasn't quite as easy to navigate as I imagined it would. That being said, I still think it could have some good uses for students in various arenas so long as they take time to verify that the item they have selected actually falls within the realm of "creative commons." I could imagine some students not putting in the effort to verify such sources. I think as with any type of source students use for the academic endeavors, we need to teach students the correct way to make use of external information and media and how to properly site work. Even when students have been taught how to use MLA, APA, or Chicago guidelines for citations, there are still students who will plagiarize someone's work. As it is now, I think most students probably do not fully understand copyright law. As with most things, there seem to be some positives and negatives to Creative Commons. Personally, I love the idea of collaborating on a project with someone across the globe in a common drive for self-expression. Now I just need to figure out how to go about that...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nudged by God into action

I am in awe of God's power to move us into action.  Tonight I had a sense of God's powerful "nudging"--a push into action.  It happened this evening while I was walking home from class.  Normally I have friends who drive me home, and who, once again, graciously offered to do so tonight.  However, I felt a desire to walk.   About half way home, I encountered a gentleman named Lawrence who was asking for money.  I have seen Lawrence  in the neighborhood before. He's a friendly man.  Tonight, he asked me if I could give him just $2 to catch the bus to the homeless shelter for the night.  It was the only way he would have to be warm this evening.  I had no money on me and told him regretfully so.  At that moment, I look down to see Lawrence's hands, callused and cracked from long exposure to the wind and cold of the day.  In that moment, I was moved by God's "nudging" into action.    I didn't stop to think.  I didn't question my actions.

the elegance of quotes

Have you ever noticed that some people are just drawn to quotes? I fall into that category. I love quotes. My family has always been active readers. So perhaps that is where my love of quotes came from. In any case, a good quote can put a smile on my face. I am one of those people who buys the quote magnets, likes wall art involving quotes, and keeps my favorite quotes in my own "quote book" of sorts. I consider a work in progress. I add to the book as I feel inspired. I make sure to put the date of entry. I am curious to see the not only the progression of the quotes but also how long it takes me to fill up the book. I think I have been gathering quotes since 2006. In my estimation, there is an innate elegance in a well-written/well-spoken quotation. For me, there is beauty in language that cannot be conveyed in any other manner. Language can convey most any emotion--happiness, joy, amusement, sadness, anger, fear, enthusiasm, excitement, etc. As such, quotes can co

Quintessential Life: the comforting scent of books

In recent days I have had several conversations regarding the new "wireless reading devices" such as the Kindle and the Nook versus a traditional book. While I think that there could be some advantages to having one of these electronic "books," I would tend to say that I am old-fashioned and don't want one. I would much prefer to sit down with a newly released hard covered book from one of my favorite authors rather than yet another electronic device. No one (at least that I know) really says on a cool rainy day, "Oh I would love nothing more than curling up on the couch with a cup of tea/coffee/hot cocoa and my 'wireless reading device.'" I would much prefer to do so with a real book. Now you may wonder why a member of the Millennial Generation (aka Generation Y) prefers an actual book to an electronic device. My answer...because of the comforting scent of books! What's that you say? "Books have a scent? I've never noticed.