Skip to main content

New Stage of Life

I suppose I have always had certain assumptions/plans about how my life would go. Elementary school, middle school, high school, college, career... I figured it would be a pretty straightforward/nothing too exciting existence. Surprise, surprise. It hasn't really worked out at all as I had assumed. The great thing about that is that is SO MUCH better than I could have ever imagined. There have, of course, been some less than ideal moments all throughout, but on the whole, life is great!!!

I have had the blessing of getting to attend not one but 2 colleges that I have absolutely love! I had the opportunity to spend 4 incredible months abroad in Italy with the best host family anyone could ever ask for. I have a great position at a school I love working in an area that I am passionate about. The best part about all of it is that I didn't expect any of it. All of these great opportunities seemed to come out of nowhere. They weren't in the original plans. They came up and I felt called to pursue them. Going to Cottey was a last minute decision (Coe not quite as much). I didn't think studying abroad would even be an option, but it turned out it was. The most interesting of them has to be getting my position as an AmeriCorps VISTA at Coe. A week before graduation, I am presented with it. I apply that night; interview 4 days later, and on Friday I am offered the position. Talk about a quick turn-around time. I wasn't even actively seeking a job. I just thought I would go with my stand-by at home while I looked for something else. It is just incredible how all of these opportunities came along. I don't think I realized it at the time, but God was definitely pushing me in the right direction with each and every one of these decisions. I wouldn't be where I am if it weren't for him!!!

Upon my graduation from Coe, I wasn't entirely certain what career path I wanted to actively pursue. I have interest in several related, but distinct areas. I just didn't know which path to take. Should I go to seminary and do some sort of ministry? Should I go to grad school so I can teach comparative religion? Non-profit work? Counseling? After working at Coe for 4 months, I have come to rule out some of those possibilities but found a truly exciting new option. What is it?, you ask. Student Affairs! I love student affairs. I get to work at a college, encourage students to participate in service, and work with some amazing people. I love the atmosphere, the work, and the people. After going to the Iowa Student Personnel Association (of which I am now a member) Conference, I came to realize that I would be happy pursuing a career in this field. There is a wide range of positions within the field. I think what solidified it in my mind was meeting one individual whose position deals with both religious life and residence life. It had never crossed my mind that perhaps you could combine religion and student affairs. It sounds like a great fit to me. God really does work in mysterious ways!

I can't say enough how excited and blessed I am to have his loving guidance in my life! I feel so blessed to have a loving family, friends, a fantastic boyfriend who I wouldn't trade for anything, a crazy yet spunky dog, and most importantly, a God who loves me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nudged by God into action

I am in awe of God's power to move us into action.  Tonight I had a sense of God's powerful "nudging"--a push into action.  It happened this evening while I was walking home from class.  Normally I have friends who drive me home, and who, once again, graciously offered to do so tonight.  However, I felt a desire to walk.   About half way home, I encountered a gentleman named Lawrence who was asking for money.  I have seen Lawrence  in the neighborhood before. He's a friendly man.  Tonight, he asked me if I could give him just $2 to catch the bus to the homeless shelter for the night.  It was the only way he would have to be warm this evening.  I had no money on me and told him regretfully so.  At that moment, I look down to see Lawrence's hands, callused and cracked from long exposure to the wind and cold of the day.  In that moment, I was moved by God's "nudging" into action.    I didn't stop to think.  I didn't question my actions.

the elegance of quotes

Have you ever noticed that some people are just drawn to quotes? I fall into that category. I love quotes. My family has always been active readers. So perhaps that is where my love of quotes came from. In any case, a good quote can put a smile on my face. I am one of those people who buys the quote magnets, likes wall art involving quotes, and keeps my favorite quotes in my own "quote book" of sorts. I consider a work in progress. I add to the book as I feel inspired. I make sure to put the date of entry. I am curious to see the not only the progression of the quotes but also how long it takes me to fill up the book. I think I have been gathering quotes since 2006. In my estimation, there is an innate elegance in a well-written/well-spoken quotation. For me, there is beauty in language that cannot be conveyed in any other manner. Language can convey most any emotion--happiness, joy, amusement, sadness, anger, fear, enthusiasm, excitement, etc. As such, quotes can co

Quintessential Life: the comforting scent of books

In recent days I have had several conversations regarding the new "wireless reading devices" such as the Kindle and the Nook versus a traditional book. While I think that there could be some advantages to having one of these electronic "books," I would tend to say that I am old-fashioned and don't want one. I would much prefer to sit down with a newly released hard covered book from one of my favorite authors rather than yet another electronic device. No one (at least that I know) really says on a cool rainy day, "Oh I would love nothing more than curling up on the couch with a cup of tea/coffee/hot cocoa and my 'wireless reading device.'" I would much prefer to do so with a real book. Now you may wonder why a member of the Millennial Generation (aka Generation Y) prefers an actual book to an electronic device. My answer...because of the comforting scent of books! What's that you say? "Books have a scent? I've never noticed.