Skip to main content

Touchy, Feely...I think so!

Upon meeting me, I think it is generally quite evident that I care about the people around me. I am always conscious of how people feel. I work hard to make others feel included and as if their views matter. I try to be polite and acknowledge those around me (even if they are not favorite person). This all stems from my view that we are all human. That in itself requires us to treat everyone with respect and dignity. That is not to say that we must like every person we encounter or that we need to agree with everyone's position on volatile issues. We do, however, need to recognize our joint humanity and respect that.

This is something that has been on my mind since sometime around August, when my co-workers and I took a personal leadership assessment. It was at this point that I was designated as the "touchy, feely" one in the office. I didn't see anything wrong with this. So I care about those around me in addition to doing a good job. What is the problem with that? In my mind, there is nothing wrong with that. However, since then I have begun to notice that any time someone referenced me as the "touchy feely" one, it comes out as a derogatory term. They make it sound as if it is a weakness to be concerned more about people than being so fixated on goals and outcomes. I really hate that. There is nothing wrong with focusing on people. It is merely a difference of personality traits.

In the future, if you an encounter an individual who could be described as "touchy, feely," think twice before insinuating that there is something wrong with this. It just means that they care for someone other than themselves. You might give it a try. At the very least, recognize that there is more than one way to go through life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nudged by God into action

I am in awe of God's power to move us into action.  Tonight I had a sense of God's powerful "nudging"--a push into action.  It happened this evening while I was walking home from class.  Normally I have friends who drive me home, and who, once again, graciously offered to do so tonight.  However, I felt a desire to walk.   About half way home, I encountered a gentleman named Lawrence who was asking for money.  I have seen Lawrence  in the neighborhood before. He's a friendly man.  Tonight, he asked me if I could give him just $2 to catch the bus to the homeless shelter for the night.  It was the only way he would have to be warm this evening.  I had no money on me and told him regretfully so.  At that moment, I look down to see Lawrence's hands, callused and cracked from long exposure to the wind and cold of the day.  In that moment, I was moved by God's "nudging" into action.    I didn't stop to think.  I didn't question my actions.

Quintessential Life: the comforting scent of books

In recent days I have had several conversations regarding the new "wireless reading devices" such as the Kindle and the Nook versus a traditional book. While I think that there could be some advantages to having one of these electronic "books," I would tend to say that I am old-fashioned and don't want one. I would much prefer to sit down with a newly released hard covered book from one of my favorite authors rather than yet another electronic device. No one (at least that I know) really says on a cool rainy day, "Oh I would love nothing more than curling up on the couch with a cup of tea/coffee/hot cocoa and my 'wireless reading device.'" I would much prefer to do so with a real book. Now you may wonder why a member of the Millennial Generation (aka Generation Y) prefers an actual book to an electronic device. My answer...because of the comforting scent of books! What's that you say? "Books have a scent? I've never noticed.

Terrible Puns & Bad Jokes: What could be better?

I don't know about you, but I personally am a fan of bad jokes and terrible puns. I can't say that I'm the best at remembering them though. My mother and I are notorious for finding amusement in the jokes and puns that without fail receive collective groans from our family. Yet, we still take delight in them and our shared appreciation for them. There is one particular joke that sticks out to me. I think it's safe to say that it has been my favorite joke since 8th grade. In fact, I still remember where I was when I first heard it. I was sitting in the cafeteria in middle school surrounded by the other GT kids. One of the girls had a book of jokes and this happened to be one of them. This is the joke. "Where does King Arthur keep his armies?" "In his sleevies." I realize that this probably isn't that funny for the general public, but for whatever reason, I love it. Every time I think of it, I can't help but chuckle. It always puts a smil