Skip to main content

God's not going to do it on his/her own

  There is a homeless gentleman named Sean who I see quite frequently when I go downtown.  He usually is somewhere on the Magnificent Mile between the Walgreens and Water Tower Place.  I first met Sean with my dear friend, Laura, back in June.  Whenever I see Sean, I try to stop by and say hello.  I don't always have the ability to do more than that.
   A few weeks ago I stopped to say hello to Sean as I do, things were different with him.  He seemed beaten down by his life circumstances. His friendly, jovial disposition was gone. What he said that night has stuck with me and really caused me to think about what we are called to do in this life and who we are to be.
    Sean told me that he was mad at God.  That despite all the prayers he has prayed and all the prayers others have prayed with him and on his behalf, he is still out on the streets.  He went on to say that God is not going to do all the work on his/her own of getting him off the streets.  God calls upon people to make it happen and carry out his/her work in the world.  We are to be God's hands and feet in the world--the ones who do the physical action of trying to make a difference (and not just with homelessness but with all sorts of issues in this world).  We are to be co-partners with God to carry out the good works as expressions of our faith.
    In the time since Sean shared his hurt and anger with me, I came to realize that we can't rest on feeling good that we said a prayer for those experiencing homelessness, giving money or food occasionally.  These are all good actions, but much more is being asked of us. We are being asked to get down and do the messy work of our faith.  To reach out to those whom society has cast aside as not being worthy of our time or attention.  Most importantly, we are to be co-partners with God and listen for how we can best love our neighbors because God isn't going to do it on his/her own.  We have to help.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nudged by God into action

I am in awe of God's power to move us into action.  Tonight I had a sense of God's powerful "nudging"--a push into action.  It happened this evening while I was walking home from class.  Normally I have friends who drive me home, and who, once again, graciously offered to do so tonight.  However, I felt a desire to walk.   About half way home, I encountered a gentleman named Lawrence who was asking for money.  I have seen Lawrence  in the neighborhood before. He's a friendly man.  Tonight, he asked me if I could give him just $2 to catch the bus to the homeless shelter for the night.  It was the only way he would have to be warm this evening.  I had no money on me and told him regretfully so.  At that moment, I look down to see Lawrence's hands, callused and cracked from long exposure to the wind and cold of the day.  In that moment, I was moved by God's "nudging" into action.    I didn't stop to think.  I didn't question my actions.

the elegance of quotes

Have you ever noticed that some people are just drawn to quotes? I fall into that category. I love quotes. My family has always been active readers. So perhaps that is where my love of quotes came from. In any case, a good quote can put a smile on my face. I am one of those people who buys the quote magnets, likes wall art involving quotes, and keeps my favorite quotes in my own "quote book" of sorts. I consider a work in progress. I add to the book as I feel inspired. I make sure to put the date of entry. I am curious to see the not only the progression of the quotes but also how long it takes me to fill up the book. I think I have been gathering quotes since 2006. In my estimation, there is an innate elegance in a well-written/well-spoken quotation. For me, there is beauty in language that cannot be conveyed in any other manner. Language can convey most any emotion--happiness, joy, amusement, sadness, anger, fear, enthusiasm, excitement, etc. As such, quotes can co

Reflections on seminary, my call, and interfaith dialogue

So first of all, hello! I know it has been ages since I have written!  I suppose I felt at a bit of a loss as to what to write about, and I wasn't really certain that anyone was reading.  However, I have a question that was posed to me today that is weighing heavily on my mind that I would like to put out there in the hope that it will trigger thoughts and conversations of value in others (and hopefully with me).   I am in the midst of my second year of seminary as a Masters of Divinity student. I came to seminary with the idea that I would not be pursuing a traditional ministry path in the parish, which I still have no intention of doing.  I do not feel as though this is where God is calling me or where my strengths are.  However, I did come to seminary with the (what now seems crazy) notion that I should pursue homeless and hunger ministry options because of my work as an AmeriCorps VISTA member and the experiences I had at a local homeless shelter during my time as a VISTA.  I