Skip to main content

Step up..even if you fail

Unfortunately tragedy has befallen many parts of the world. Climate change is causing extensive damage to many parts of the world. Some places in the United States are being pounded by overwhelming hurricanes.  Other areas are experiencing horrific wildfires. Still other parts of the world are facing earthquakes, droughts, famine, and flooding.  People's homes have been destroyed. Many families and individuals have lost everything they own. It seems reasonable that citizens could look to their government for support and encouragement in the midst of these tragedies. Yet, numerous elected officials in the United States are balking at their responsibility to care for the people, all people, in this country.  It seems that providing assistance to those affected by these tragic circumstances isn't worth their while.   

If the weather catastrophes weren't enough, hate, bigotry, and racism are running rampant all across the United States.  Many of us would like to think, "That doesn't apply to me. I'm a good person. I don't judge people based on (you fill in the blank here)."  But if we are really honest with ourselves, we all have some biases and act upon them, whether we intend to or not. The problem (at least one of them) as I see it is that we as a society have forgotten one major idea--WE ARE ALL HUMAN.  This is not an us versus them scenario.  Every human breathes air.  Drinks water. Eats food.  Engages with the world around them.  Yet somehow, great swaths of the country seem to have devolved into this absurd thinking that they are superior.  It's simply not true, and it never will be.  No one person will ever be better than another simply because they exist.  

There are countless examples of this hate, bigotry, and intolerance in recent years. Just some examples include the extrajudicial slayings of Eric Garner, Michael Brown, Filando Castille, and Freddie Gray; the death of Heather Heyer at the counter-protest in Charlottesville; hate crimes against minority religious groups including bombings, graffiti, and shootings; the murder of 9 innocent people at a historically black church in Charleston; the vigilante shootings of undocumented immigrants in Arizona; and the list just goes on and on and on.  Only 2 days ago, a story broke about an 8 year old boy in New Hampshire who survived a lynching attempt because he happened to be biracial. 

I truly have no sufficient words to describe my absolute abhorrence and grief surrounding these heart-rending events.  I think of the ways hate has impacted the lives of my husband and I, close friends, and many others who are dear to me.  I am incredibly fearful of what my future children will face in their lives because they happen to be biracial. There is a verse in the Bible that comes to mind when I think of the many wonderful people affected by the obscene displays of hate, intolerance, and bigotry.  In Psalm 139:14, it says, "I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.  Wonderful are your works; that I know very well."  Each individual who must face these acts of hate, discrimination, and intolerance are "fearfully and wonderfully made."  They too were created in the Divine Image.  They are beloved children of God just like you and me.  The Bible tells us many times over to "love our neighbors as ourselves."  I can't help but think that was done on purpose.  We humans can be rather dense, and clearly needed frequent reminders to love those around us--all of the people around us, not just the ones we like or agree with--but EVERY SINGLE PERSON.  

As a person of faith, I believe in the power of prayer.  Yet, I think we have too long rested on our laurels telling ourselves that we are allies to whatever group because we pray for them.  Prayer is good, but it's not enough.  It's never going to be enough.  Those of us who are disheartened by these despicable acts need to take a stand.  We need to step up our game. We need to come together to be a force for change, a force for good, a force for love.  

So today, I am stepping up.  I pledge to do more.  I know that I will falter and fail, but I will get up again.  I will continue stepping up to be a force for good in a world full of pain.  What will you do today? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nudged by God into action

I am in awe of God's power to move us into action.  Tonight I had a sense of God's powerful "nudging"--a push into action.  It happened this evening while I was walking home from class.  Normally I have friends who drive me home, and who, once again, graciously offered to do so tonight.  However, I felt a desire to walk.   About half way home, I encountered a gentleman named Lawrence who was asking for money.  I have seen Lawrence  in the neighborhood before. He's a friendly man.  Tonight, he asked me if I could give him just $2 to catch the bus to the homeless shelter for the night.  It was the only way he would have to be warm this evening.  I had no money on me and told him regretfully so.  At that moment, I look down to see Lawrence's hands, callused and cracked from long exposure to the wind and cold of the day.  In that moment, I was moved by God's "nudging" into action.    I didn't stop to think.  I didn't question my actions.

Quintessential Life: the comforting scent of books

In recent days I have had several conversations regarding the new "wireless reading devices" such as the Kindle and the Nook versus a traditional book. While I think that there could be some advantages to having one of these electronic "books," I would tend to say that I am old-fashioned and don't want one. I would much prefer to sit down with a newly released hard covered book from one of my favorite authors rather than yet another electronic device. No one (at least that I know) really says on a cool rainy day, "Oh I would love nothing more than curling up on the couch with a cup of tea/coffee/hot cocoa and my 'wireless reading device.'" I would much prefer to do so with a real book. Now you may wonder why a member of the Millennial Generation (aka Generation Y) prefers an actual book to an electronic device. My answer...because of the comforting scent of books! What's that you say? "Books have a scent? I've never noticed.

Terrible Puns & Bad Jokes: What could be better?

I don't know about you, but I personally am a fan of bad jokes and terrible puns. I can't say that I'm the best at remembering them though. My mother and I are notorious for finding amusement in the jokes and puns that without fail receive collective groans from our family. Yet, we still take delight in them and our shared appreciation for them. There is one particular joke that sticks out to me. I think it's safe to say that it has been my favorite joke since 8th grade. In fact, I still remember where I was when I first heard it. I was sitting in the cafeteria in middle school surrounded by the other GT kids. One of the girls had a book of jokes and this happened to be one of them. This is the joke. "Where does King Arthur keep his armies?" "In his sleevies." I realize that this probably isn't that funny for the general public, but for whatever reason, I love it. Every time I think of it, I can't help but chuckle. It always puts a smil